This is a letter Vincent van Gogh sent to his brother Theo with a little drawing of a street scene with carriages. It was part of the Art Institute show last spring and it made me smile. It was great to see it up close. Vincent had such beautiful handwriting. I suppose he was writing in French, despite he and his brother being Dutch, because of they were living in France.
Don’t think of it as graffiti as much as alley enhancement. Looks like this art was made with an Xacto knife, a roll of gift wrap and wheat based wallpaper paste. I should go back with a roll of hockey tape and give the easel some legs. It just seems weird floating in the air.
Jan Lievens etching by Lucas Emil Vorsterman (1530 to 1545). An almost 500 year old selfie.
I had long thought of painting as “what we had before photography” but have revised the idea that photography replaced painting as it replaced printmaking much more. I now realize that printmaking fulfilled the functions of modern photography much more closely. A painting catches our attention for being in color but it is only a single object. Printmaking does the two things photography excels at: it creates multiples through mechanical reproduction.
There is a nice exhibit right now at the Museum of the Art Institute of Dutch, Flemish and Netherlandish portrait etchings from the 15th and early 16th Centuries. Selfies are not new at all; they are just now easy for a huge number of people to make and distribute. One placard in the exhibit stated that the portraits not only confirmed fame, they could also create it. Sound familiar to you?
Seeing so many etching portraits made for circulation made me feel that people of this time period would have loved social media just as much as we do now if they had it. In a way, they did have social media, it was a lot slower. Getting picture out took a great deal of skill, time and paper.
I made another fabric / cloth art doll using the Jan Horrox pattern book and really love how this one came out. This pattern is so much fun and these art dolls make a nices gift. This doll was for my friend’s daughter.
Reactions from people were mixed. About 80% of the people who saw this doll said “Cool!” while the remaining 20% said “You’re giving that to a child?!” This child’s parents both have tattoos a lot weirder than my little Goth ballerina.
Painting the face is my favorite part.
Decorations come in second place for the most fun part. I got frilly with the hair ornaments. The hair was a sleek, shiny synthetic yarn.
Did your on-demand episodes for Game of Thrones disappear? Here is how I fixed the problem. Turn off your TV / cable box with the remote, then turn off power button on the cable box itself, give it about two minutes, then turn everything back on. All of my episodes for GoT on-demand appeared again after the reboot. Weirdly enough, other HBO on-demand episodes were showing while GoT episodes were missing.
Meanwhile, more cartoons below…